Bowflex and Schwinn are two of the best-known brands of high-end consumer-grade & light commercial elliptical trainers. We have an in-depth look at 2 of their most popular models, the Bowflex Max Trainer vs the Schwinn 470 – which is the best for you?
Bowflex Max Trainer vs Schwinn 470 – Specifications
Bowflex Max Trainer vs Schwinn 470 – Similarities
These are both Elliptical Trainers, using the Magnetic Resistance principle
- An elliptical trainer (also known as a cross-trainer) is a stationary exercise machine. It can be used to simulate stair climbing, walking, or running, and offers a lower-impact method of carrying out these exercises.
- An elliptical trainer can provide both an upper body and lower body workout.
- The resistance is adjusted using magnetism (see this article for a technical description).
Both have a built-in Backlit LCD Console
- Both machines have a backlit LCD console, which is more modern and more comfortable to view in low light than the usual LCD non-backlit version.
Your smart device can both be connected to the Bowflex Max Trainer and Schwinn via Bluetooth
- Both the Bowflex and Schwinn devices have applications that support your workout and can be used through Bluetooth.
Heart rate can be measured on both machines
- Both the Bowflex Max and the Schwinn can measure the heart rate during a workout through integrated handgrips.
Both machines have a maximum user weight of 300lbs
- Both have a maximum weight of 300lbs per user.
There is a built-in Tablet/Book Holder for both machines
- Depending on your mood and need, both machines have a tablet/book holder, which helps in multi-tasking while exercising.
Built-in Water Bottle Holder is present on both machines
- Both the Bowflex and 470 have built-in water bottles for your convenience.
The mechanical warranty on both machines are identical
- Both have two years warranty on the Mechanical Components.
Bowflex Max Trainer vs Schwinn 470 – Differences
The Bowflex Max Trainer offers 16 resistance levels, while Schwinn’s 470 has 25 resistance levels
- The 16 resistance levels available in the Bowflex Max are fewer compared to the Schwinn 470’s 25 resistance levels. However, both are still challenging and with diverse resistance setting in a workout.
The Bowflex Max Trainer does not have an adjustable incline range, while the Schwinn offers a range of 0-10 degrees incline
- Only the Schwinn elliptical machine allows for an incline range between 0-10 degrees while the Bowflex Max does not have this feature.
The Bowflex Max Trainer does not have electrical incline adjustment, while the Schwinn offers this feature
- Only the Schwinn elliptical machine allows for a powered incline adjustment without having to stop your workout and adjust it manually as it has a motorized ramp. The Bowflex Max does not have this option.
Only the Schwinn has a USB charging port
- Charging your smartphone or tablet while you are exercising on the elliptical is easier with the 470, as it offers a USB charging port for your convenience. However, it is important to note that the port is only used for charging your devices.
The Bowflex Max Trainer only offers nine built-in workout programs while the Schwinn 470 has 29 integrated workout programs
- There is a vast difference in the number of built-in workouts as the Bowflex is limited, with only nine workouts while Schwinn has 29. However, it is important to note that both devices still offer diverse challenges for ramping up your exercise daily.
Only the 470 has a stride length of 20”
- 18” to 20” stride length is a standard recommendation. However, the Schwinn has up to 20” stride length for the short and tall stature.
Only the Schwinn 470 has a built-in fan and speaker
- The Schwinn has a built-in fan for proper ventilation while exercising and speakers in case you would want to spice up your workout through music. Unfortunately, the Bowflex does not offer both fan and speaker.
Both have a different number of user profiles
- The Bowflex Max can save up to 2 profiles, perfect for couples who exercise extensively using the elliptical trainer, while the Schwinn can save up to 4 profiles, which is ideal for families working out.
The Schwinn elliptical has a better frame warranty
- Bowflex offers a 2-year warranty, while the Schwinn 470 elliptical machine has up to 10 years warranty for the frame.
The Bowflex has a longer warranty on the electronics
- Bowflex offers a 2-year warranty, while the Schwinn offers a 1-year warranty for the electronics.
The Bowflex Max Trainer and Schwinn 470 have many differences. A few notable features from the Schwinn 470 are
- Resistance levels are higher.
- Has more built-in workouts to choose from.
- Has a stride length of 20”.
Both are extremely useful for your workouts and can ultimately match one’s taste when it comes to exercising with the use of equipment. However, it is still up to you to decide whether the extra features are worth more of your hard-earned money.