Proform and Schwinn are two of the best-known makers of high-end consumer-grade & light commercial elliptical trainers. We have an in-depth look at 2 of their most popular models, the Proform 520E vs the Schwinn 470 – which is the best for you?
Proform 520E vs Schwinn 470 – Specifications
Proform 520E vs Schwinn 470 – Similarities
These are both Elliptical Trainers, using the Magnetic Resistance principle
- An elliptical trainer (also known as a cross-trainer) is a stationary exercise machine. It can be used to simulate stair climbing, walking, or running, and offers a lower-impact method of carrying out these exercises.
- An Elliptical machine can offer both an upper body and lower body workout.
- The resistance is adjusted using magnetism (see this article for a technical description).
Each elliptical offers electrically powered incline adjustment
- Both Elliptical Trainers have an electric-powered console which allows for an inclination level change even while on the machine instead of adjusting it manually.
Both the ProForm Endurance 520 E and Schwinn 470 have USB charging ports
- Charging a smartphone or tablet while exercising on the elliptical is easier as both offer a USB charging port for convenience. However, it is important to note that the ports are only used solely for charging devices.
The ProForm 520 E and Schwinn 470 both have a Bluetooth feature
- Smart devices can be connected to both the ProForm Endurance 520 E and Schwinn 470, which is beneficial for exercise applications that support workouts and can be used via Bluetooth.
Both machines have a maximum user weight of 300lbs
- Both have a maximum weight of 300lbs per user.
There is a built-in Tablet/Book Holder for both machines
- Depending on your mood and need, both devices have a tablet/book holder, which helps with multi-tasking while exercising.
Built-in Speakers and Water Bottle Holder are both present in the ProForm 520 E and Schwinn 470
- Each elliptical machine offers built-in speakers, in case you want to spice up your workout through music. Aside from that, both the ProForm Endurance 520 E and Schwinn 470 have built-in water bottle holders for your convenience.
Proform 520E vs Schwinn 470 – Differences
The ProForm 520 E offers 18 levels of resistance, while the Schwinn 470 has 25 levels of resistance
- The number of resistance levels in the ProForm Endurance 520 E is slightly lower than the Schwinn 470, offering 25 resistance levels. However, both still offer a wide range of resistance level setting.
Both differ when it comes to the incline range
- The ProForm 520 E has a more comprehensive incline range of 0-20 degrees, while the Schwinn 470 has 0-10 degrees.
The two differ when it comes to display features
- The ProForm 520 E has a more advanced 5” backlit display that shows user’s workout stats and progress while the Schwinn 470 has backlit LCD console.
Both machines differ in their flywheel weight
- The ProForm Endurance 520 E has a 15lb flywheel weight while the Schwinn 470 is heavier with a 20lb flywheel weight.
Each elliptical offers a different method of measuring heart rate
- While both can measure the heart rate through the handles, only the Schwinn 470 has a chest strap option.
The Schwinn 470 elliptical offers more workout programs than ProForm 520 E
- The Schwinn 470 has a total of 29 built-in workout programs while the ProForm 520 E has only 18.
Each elliptical has a different stride length
- The ProForm Endurance 520 E has 19” of stride length while the Schwinn offers 20”.
Only the Schwinn 470 has a built-in fan
- The ProForm 520 E does not have a built-in fan, while the Schwinn 470 has the feature for proper ventilation.
The ProForm 520 E and Schwinn 470 have different user profile features
- The ProForm 520 E has one user profile (but can have four via the iFit subscription), while the Schwinn 470 Elliptical has four user profiles, perfect for multiple users of the machine.
Both offer different warranties for frame, parts, and labor
- The ProForm Endurance 520 E offers a lifetime frame warranty, one year for parts, and one year for labor, while the Schwinn 470 offers a 10-year warranty for the frame, two years for parts, and 90 days for labor.
There are many similarities and differences when it comes to the ProForm 520 E and Schwinn 470. Their prices are usually quite close, though prices do change over time. Still, it is worth noting that, while each elliptical has features that the other does not offer, functionality-wise, they are both excellent and almost identical with workout results.